With the advent of the internet, we now can attend therapy digitally. There is an excellent appeal to chatting with a therapist in your own home. That said, there are many reasons you might choose online therapy as an option for maintaining your mental health. But the question remains does online therapy work?
Research shows that online therapy can be effective for many mental health issues. When it comes to conditions like depression, a 2014 study showed the online treatment was as effective as face-to-face treatment. The majority of the participants showed lasting effects over a year after treatment had ended. Another 2018 study indicated Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is highly effective online.
Benefits of Online Therapy
Besides convenience, online therapy offers flexibility to people with busy schedules. Those with limited mobility, or those who cannot leave their home due to caretaking duties or for some other reason, also benefit from online therapy. Some other benefits include:
- Attend therapy in the privacy of your home
- Being at home helps you relax and more likely to open up
- Treatment works around your schedule.
- No more issues with bad weather or transportation
Things to be Aware Of
Online therapy can be an attractive option, but it is not a solution to every mental health concern. We do not recommend online therapy in situations where the home is unsafe, or the client is in danger of hurting themselves or others. Other cases in which online therapy is not ideal include:
- Not everyone has a safe environment at home to attend therapy.
- Children may not be in a position to open up while they are at home if they want to talk about their other family members
- If there is never a time when you are alone in the house, online therapy might not be the way to go
- Not all conditions can be treated online, such as suicidal thoughts.
Does online therapy work? Online therapy is an excellent option for several reasons. It offers flexibility and convenience and can be an effective treatment method for many mental health conditions. However, we do not recommend online therapy for those who may have an unsafe home life or specific mental health concerns. We recommend scheduling multiple introductory sessions with therapists to see if online therapy is a good option for you.
Family Strategies Counseling & Mediation is a therapy office serving the Chicagoland Area. We offer couples counseling and mental health services. Our therapists are skilled at working with those who have suffered traumatic experiences. Give our office a call at (708) 798-5433 or email us a info@Family-Strategy.com for appointment details.